Monday, August 8, 2011

And another Canvas

iI guess by now most of you have seen the toilet paper canvases many bloggers have created the past couple of months and last week I decided I was going to make one for myself.

By the way, the one below is a creation of Chris from 'Just a Girl'.

Source
I started out as previously with two old canvases that I covered completely in Glidden's Barely Jade:


This color seemed to be a beautiful gray with just a hint of green/blue. I had a tester at home, but had yet to test the color on a larger surface. Painting the canvas was the perfect opportunity that enabled me to "get to know" the color without making immense changes to our walls.

Here are my canvases in the middle of being "primed" with my selected color:


For those of you with an eye for details - the canvases used to hang above our bed but they were just too small scale to really make an impact.


The entire process took about 3 coats. Then I put the frames aside and cut a toilet paper roll into small 1/2 inch wide pieces and started painting them a dark blue.


Trying to avoid big messes, I worked on one section of a roll at a time, and once through the entire set, started with the next section.


I covered these with 2 to 3 layers of paint as well. Since I didn't have enough pieces to create a sufficiently large pattern on my canvases I thought about what I could do to achieve the desired impact.

Here is what I came up with:


I simply used a brush and some white acrylic paint to replicate the pattern of the toilet paper rolls. Then I added the toilet paper roll pieces with some glue.

Here is the other canvas:


And now, both canvases together:


And one more picture:



I haven't found a spot for them just yet, but for now I am excited to have found another potential paint color for future use.

What do you think of my little afternoon project?

Edit: I found a spot for my canvases. After removing all of our pictures for the big move, I had an empty spot for my canvases "available":







Here are both of them together:




Linked up here:

Between Naps on the Porch - Metamorphosis Monday
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia - Tuesdays Treasures 
Savvy Southern Style - Wow Us Wednesdays 
The Shabby Nest - Frugal Friday 
Just a Girl - Show and Share Day

No comments:

Post a Comment